Monday, November 7, 2011

REVIEW: A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011)

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (2011). Dir: Todd Strauss-Schulson. Starring Kal Penn, John Cho and  Neil Patrick Harris. IMDB.

First of all I can't believe it's been over a month since I've been to the movies. How lame is that? Anyway I broke out of my slump for my boys Harold and Kumar, back with another drug-fueled romp.

This outing finds the boys all grown up and faced with adult responsibilities. Harold is married to the beautiful Maria and living in the suburbs. But he doesn't quite get along with Maria's extended, colorful clan, and he must find the perfect Christmas tree for the family by the time they all get home from midnight Mass. Meanwhile Kumar, estranged from his old buddy, has grown fat and lazy and bearded and lives in marijuana-scented squalor when he finds out that his ex-girlfriend is pregnant. But a Christmas miracle brings them back together.

The movie is very funny, full of the graphic sexual and drug references you're used to if you've seen their other movies. And if you enjoyed the two previous Harold & Kumar films, you'll enjoy this one, too. All the regular characters are back and Neil Patrick Harris is particularly hilarious poking fun at himself and his public persona. There are lots of in-jokes and the movie makes great use of 3D technology- better, frankly, than any other 3D film I've seen. And of course everything turns out OK in the end.

Rating: RUSH


Buy movie tickets online now!

I'm a Fandango affiliate and receive a small commission on sales.

I did not receive compensated tickets to this screening.

4 comments:

  1. awesome.

    we haven't been to the theater in too long, but figure that should change with all these great films coming out over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Love that Harold & Kumar got the jump on the season though.
    Kal Penn has been on How I Met Your Mother w/ Neil Patrick Harris and the film has been on our mind. (convenient marketing?)
    was curious about the 3D aspect, glad to have heard your take on it. I will be passing your review and recommendation.
    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't remember the last time I've been to the movies. *sigh*

    Enjoyed your review, but I'm not a big Harold & Kumar fan. Do love Neil Patrick Harris though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen amy of the Harold & Kumar movies because they didn't seem like something at that would appeal to me, but if you like them maybe I'm wrong about that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a real treat. Effects were really nice. Some people will love it and some will hate it. But i love this movie and I still remember some scenes that were simply terrific at comic level.
    Watch A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas Movie

    ReplyDelete