Saturday, April 23, 2011

REVIEW: The Kids Are All Right (2010)

The Kids Are All Right (2010). Dir: Lisa Cholodenko. Starring Annette Bening, Julianne Moore, Mark Ruffalo. IMDB.

So it's been a really slow movie-viewing month for me but my husband and I managed to actually settle down for a DVD the other night and we chose last year's Oscar-nominated The Kids Are All Right, about a lesbian couple played by Annette Bening and Julianne Moore, whose children decide to meet their biological sperm-donor dad, a man-child played by Mark Ruffalo. At first it's all congeniality and wine and picturesque organic-food dinners, but things go south when Paul, Ruffalo's character, has a sexual relationship with one of the women.

The Kids Are All Right is an art house crowd pleaser; its liberal politics and the Whole-Foods-affluent lifestyle the characters live make for an attractive celluloid fantasy. I hesitated for a long time to see this movie because I felt like I'd seen it many times before, at least in terms of the setting and milieu. Does anybody really have those gorgeous, picture-perfect dinner parties? The film raises some interesting and thorny issues which it mostly ignores- things about identity and sexuality and honesty- but the performances are all really good and the movie is great to look at.

So, yeah, I liked it. The ending surprised me; it was a stronger ending than I thought it would have, and I loved how the characters grew, especially the couple's two kids. It's a nice film that's easy to like and makes for a pleasant evening of thought-provoking entertainment.

Rating: RENT

5 comments:

  1. A couple of friends said that they liked this movie, but the ending seemed totally unrealistic?? I have not seen it so I need to do that and decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was one of the few movies Nom'd that I have seen. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed it. I love all of the actors and Mark Ruffalo is way easy on the eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me to add this to my netflix queue! Love Mark Ruffalo so I'm looking forward to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love endings that are, well, open-ended. That's one reason I despise romantic comedies: they wrap everything up with a neat little red bow. That's not how life is. Life is more like "The Kids Are All Right," where people love each other but screw up royally and have to try and make amends knowing it might not work.

    I wanted Bening to win the Oscar exclusively for her dinner table scene. Amazing, amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete