Monday, March 14, 2011

Movies for St. Patrick's Day

With St. Patrick's Day coming up this week, I thought I'd share some of my favorite Irish movies.
Recently I saw the wonderful The Secret of Kells, the beautiful Oscar-nominated animated movie from 2009 about the creation of the Book of Kells, the legendary illuminated manuscript now housed at Trinity College, Dublin. The music, the visuals and the voices blend together for an enchanting treat for all ages.
Maybe a slightly nontraditional choice, but I loved The Crying Game, Neil Jordan's 1992 political thriller and love story about the IRA and a star-crossed couple. It's one of my favorite love stories of all time!
Finally, there's Once, the film that Colin Farrell described as "the little Irish movie that could." The 2006 movie, made on a shoestring, won an Oscar for best song for Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova's "Falling Slowly" and remains a beautiful film about music and a very special friendship. Watching this movie will make you feel like you're walking the streets of Dublin.

What are your favorite Irish movies?

5 comments:

  1. Kells was nice, Once was nice..I had forgotten about that song, I had it somewhere, and there, my mind drifted away

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down, The Quiet Man with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara. End of discussion. Well, for me anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we adore kells, and once. we might try Ondine (2009), haven't seen it yet. going to have review our library, nothing came to mind quickly, other than the secret of kells and once--other than michael collins (liam neeson) which i'm not sure i am keen on seeing again.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Once, and Ondine is fantastic, too. But I would have to say that one of my all-time faves is The Commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved Once, and it took me a second viewing before I realized that Glen Hansard is IN 'The Commitments'.
    While I share my husband's fondness for The Quiet Man, I have to add 'The Playboys', 'Into the West', and 'Waking Ned Devine' to the list.

    ReplyDelete