Thursday, February 3, 2011

REVIEW: Star Trek (2009)

Star Trek (2009). Dir: J.J. Abrams. Starring: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg. PG-13. DVD. IMDB.

What can I say? I liked this movie so much more than I had any right to expect to. I saw it opening weekend in the theater and then many times since on DVD; my husband is a serious lifelong Trek fan and I'll admit I came to it late, after we combined households and Star Trek: The Next Generation was on TV every night. He saw the movie first and took me the next day after making sure it was good. And it was.

Not a sequel or really even a prequel, it's a reboot of the franchise, starting when Kirk and Spock are at Starfleet Academy and meet aboard their first ship. I'm not going to go into the plot details- nobody watches Trek movies for the plot. I think this one was about Romulans or something. It hardly matters. What makes Star Trek the delight it is, is the charisma and chemistry of actors Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto as well as the rest of cast. Simon Pegg is just fun as Scotty and Karl Urban is great as the doctor, McCoy. Zoe Saldana, John Cho and Anton Yelchin round out the future-Enterprise crew and we even get a little Leonard Nimoy for our trouble, not to mention a brief appearance by Tyler Perry. And Eric Bana does his job as a villain. 

If you're not a Trek fan, see it for the special effects, the action and the characters. If you're a Trek fan who hasn't seen this yet, you probably won't, but I wish you would. I actually know at least one devoted Trekkie who refuses to see it, convinced he'll be disappointed. I tried to tell him he wouldn't be- and I believe if he ever does see it, he'll love it. How can you not love this movie? It's just so much fun. Get your nerd on already and just watch it.

Rating: RUSH

8 comments:

  1. I am a Trek fan from way, way back and I thought this was a fun movie. Poked a little fun at the original and I think that's fine. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband still maintains this movie was robbed last year when the Academy Awards expanded to 10 Best Picture nominations and it still didn't get one. I don't love it quite as much as he does, but it's great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Florinda, I kind of agree with your husband, LOL! For a Trek movie it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who grew up watching the original series, I was prepared to be disappointed, but like you, I thought it was way better than expected. The elevator scene between Uhura and Spock is one of my favorite movie kisses of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I got it thru my thick skull that this was a reboot and not a remake, I loved this movie! Hoping they'll do more, as I really enjoyed the chemistry of this new cast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Get your nerd on" ... *LOL* You seem like my kinda gal. :-)

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be addicted to Star Trek: The Next Generation. :-)

    http://historiccinephile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review!

    I love Star Trek!! Loved the original..and dedicated to STNG...This was a great reboot and loved the cast and I laughed so hard at the 'bickering' of Scotty and Bones..too funny..just like the originals!!

    ReplyDelete