Monday, February 28, 2011

My Oscar Recap

Well, first of all I don't think I can really do an Oscar recap because I went to bed around 10:30, shortly after the documentary award went out. The best part of last night's Oscar presentation was the buzz on Twitter! I watch the Oscars faithfully every year- and I almost always sit through the whole thing- but I just couldn't do it last night.

My husband and I got Chinese take-out and camped out in the den as we usually do. It's our thing. :-)

It started off terribly with awful red carpet interviews; I watched the ABC pre-show and the green room interviews were absolutely charmless. Even pretty Reese Witherspoon seemed to lack personality. Then the show started and all I can say is that hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco basically tanked it. I love both of them in their films but when the most fun you have is complaining on Twitter that you're bored, maybe it's time to call it quits.

Awards-wise The King's Speech won Best Picture as predicted; I was slightly disappointed that Hailee Steinfeld didn't win Best Supporting Actress but the buzz was all about Melissa Leo.

The dresses were fun, of course. I loved Amy Adams' navy sparkler and Mila Kunis looked vintage-pretty if not exactly glamorous. I know everyone loves Gwenyth Paltrow's look but her whole icy-blonde thing just leaves me cold.  Anne Hathaway looked great in all her many costume changes.

I'm sorry I don't have anything better to say. It just wasn't a very good show.

What did you think? Do you have any Oscar rituals? Did any of your favorites win?

3 comments:

  1. the looking back at early Oscar History seemed awkward and forced and wasn't a terribly successful thread to tie everything together--maybe I just missed it. and there were a lot of long commercials/breaks.

    I thought Hathaway was good, but her work looked like it took effort when that lifeless statue Franco was standing with her--I don't care much for him as an actor, so I was prepared to be underwhelmed.

    You are right about the red carpet interviews, they seemed dull, forced, and plastic--their setting up soundbites for the actors' careers seemed a little too transparent.

    there were a lot of beautiful gowns this year. I loved Paltrow's dress..her monochromatic look, however, was a bit much. I loved Sandra Bullock's gown and Helen Mirren looked perfect again this year.

    I was pleased that there was actual competition in several of the categories. and that many of the speeches (but for Melissa Leos) were enjoyable. I really dislike that we sit through the "entertainment" and the speeches are cut short for the more eloquent and under-appreciated. also, the sound was off with the musical numbers which were understated to the point of lack-luster.

    --and wow, a noticeable absence of political statements but for the predictable commentary by the documentary winner.

    This was the first film award's show that the daughter watched with us and that was fun. I wish it would have been a little more grand.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a point to watch the Oscars every year. But yeah, Sunday's ceremony was a huge disappointment. The entire thing just seemed awkward and poorly put together. I almost turned it off when Franco came out in a dress. Really, the "dude dressed like a lady" bit is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

    But there weren't really any upsets -- all of the awards pretty much went to who I thought deserved them. Although, I would have rather seen Fincher or Aronofsky win for best director over Hooper.

    Hope next year's presentation is grander, for everyone's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch every year, and have a pool with some friends (which I always do very poorly in). Totally agree with you (and virtually the entire world!) that the show was dull.

    I was a bit shocked at how charmless James Franco was - he's a witty guy, but clearly this is not the right milieu for his many talents.

    I wasn't really rooting for any particular film or performance, though I always object when a big marquee name like Christian Bale gets all the accolades in the Supporting category. He was wonderful in the film and I'm not saying he shouldn't have won, but that category should really be used to honor supporting performers, not A List actors who occasionally take smaller parts. Just my oh-so-humble opinion!

    I also agree with you about Gwyneth Paltrow - of course she looks amazing but almost too much. I especially liked Halle Berry's frothy gown and Jennifer Lawrence looked gorgeous (though perhaps now that awards season is over, she can returning to eating).

    I think it's quite intersting that this year some of the top contenders for Best Picture, like The Kings Speech and Black Swan, were surprisingly financially sucessful (both made over $200 million!) despite miniscule budgets and very non-blockbuster plots. It gives me hope that more mid-size movies will get made and distributed. And I love it when the naysayers are wrong about the Oscars being awards for movies "no one watches"!

    ReplyDelete