Monday, January 24, 2011

Monday Movies- Illness in the Movies

Monday Movies at The Bumbles Blog- today's topic is Illness.
January in New England breeds lots of icky germs that turn into colds that make everyone miserable. Even if you don't have a cold, you know someone who does and you spend all your time avoiding them so you won't get it. No wonder Northerners get a rap for being rude sometimes. #1 - it is too cold to stop and chat for half of the year. #2 - we don't want to catch whatever you've go. The movies seem to have more sympathy for illness than we do
Some movies I like where illness is important:

My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Hayao Miyazaki's animated children's story about a family dealing with the mother's illness (one of the sweetest movies ever made, too),
Philadelphia (1993), with Tom Hanks starring as an HIV+ attorney,
Erin Brockovich (2000), Julia Roberts' Oscar-winning performance as a legal assistant helping to fight for people made ill by corporate pollution,
Sense and Sensibility (1995), who can forget Marianne (Kate Winslet) pining away for that cad Willoughby?

It was kind of hard for me to answer this question! I don't watch a lot of weepies or terminal-illness type movies but these are all flicks that I enjoyed in one way or another.

Visit The Bumbles for more Monday Movies links!

6 comments:

  1. Good choices. I'll probably have Erin on my list too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked all these movies!

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to mention that my daughter has a movie blog, too: http://aspergiansarah.xanga.com/
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, your daughter's blog is great! I'm following.

    Stacy, thanks- I'll look for your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Neighbor Totoro! Awesome choice. Here are mine: http://gofita.blogspot.com/2011/01/monday-movie-meme-aches-and-pains-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the MMM, Marie! Always room for another book and movie loving Bostonian especially. And great choice with Erin Brokovich.

    ReplyDelete